This time of year is always very busy, particularly for libraries, and I’ve been having a look at what librarians are doing to celebrate the festive period. If you want some inspiration for things to try out at your library, why not consider some of the ideas below?
- Dress the librarians up as famous festive characters – imagine having to pay an overdue book fine to Scrooge?
- Finally – a pratical use for that dusty old Reference section! Give the library a festive makeover by having your own tree made of books!
- This time of year is a great opportunity for story telling sessions on a festive theme and also a good way to raise awareness of different countries and cultures by having displays on how the festive period is celebrated around the world. See Leeds Libraries for some great ideas.
- Arts & crafts sessions on how to make your own Christmas cards, with lots of inspiration from books in the library of course!
- Run a festive photography competition amongst your library users and make a book of all the entries for circulation after the competition.
- Work in a library with a large cookery section? Why not do a display with some great festive recipes? (just go easy on the mulled wine if you have to staff the enquiry desk)
- Coffee mornings with mince pies etc to gain valuable feedback in an informal way from your library users.